Thursday, July 2, 2009

Blogathon 2009!

Current Mood: I'm here.

Current Song: Quiet Times by Dido

It's official everyone. Strawberry Ghetto is officially signed up for Blogathon 2009 . Yay me! It's going to be pretty much like last year, where I will be joining bloggers from all around the world to blog every half hour for 24 hours. The best part is that we're all blogging for charity!

This year's Charity of Choice: The Tumaini Children's Project.

Tumaini means "Hope" in Swahili and this is exactly what they provide. They are a volunteer-run, youth charity in Ottawa. They provide sustainable economic development projects for communities in Kenya affected by AIDS. They also provide all the necessities for children who have been affected and orphaned by this disease to have a chance at an education. I volunteer as a writer for this charity and it's a great cause, and one that's close to my heart (having been brought up in East Africa).

Here's how you can help!

Donate, donate, donate!

TCP is volunteer-run so all the money goes towards their projects. You can help by donating any amount at all by visiting the website and locating the donation option in the sidebar (don't worry I'll go over this again closer to the time). That's the first thing you can do for Tumaini and to help support my cause.

Comment!

I would love your help in staying awake! Visit this blog and comment on the many entertaining posts that will be coming your way on that day. I like to interact with people, and so this is a great way for you to tell me what you think! You can also follow my ramblings on twitter (@mehnazt) and check out my fellow bloggers who are in it to win it!

Be on Keeping-Me-Awake Duty!

For the love of all that is good, please help keep me awake. Remember I'm blogging from 6 AM to 6 AM. Texts, Facebook Love, Tweets, Comments, Emails, all super appreciated as I truck through 24 hours. Better yet....

Send Me Your Ideas!

Blogging every half hour, I have to come up with close to 50 posts. Ideas will be really appreciated as well. Remember to please keep it to some kind of general knowledge that I can articulate in a half hour. Asking me to discuss quantum physics at 4 AM is just cruel!

In exchange for your support, I will entertain you with fun stuff, scratchings, pictures, videos all over a period of 24 hours.

Help Spread the News!

Pass this link on to friends, family, colleagues, frenemies, whomever. Let's get the word out there are really make this happen!

Interested in Participating as a Blogger?

Visit www.blogathon.org and sign up as a blogger for this awesome event. You can pick your charity and get all the details on how you can do this too. You'll have my full support as we brave the realms of sleep.
If you're in Vancouver, visit www.miss604.com and see what's happening in Vancouver for Blogathon. There will be meet-ups and workspaces happening, and you can get the cool banner (like mine) from her website.

I hope that TCP and I can count on your support for this special (and tiring) event. Remember to visit TCP's website and donate. Life is hard with this credit crunch for us. Imagine having to contend with a devastating disease like HIV/AIDS and not having a family to support you through. Let's be their family for this evening!

Thanks All! Will write again soon :)

5 comments:

Karim Kanji said...

Hey!

Gonna be in Buffalo for business that weekend. Best wishes!

Mehnaz said...

thank ya!

Pico said...

Hi Mehnaz,

Hooray for Blogathon 2009! I'm Pico, your monitor for this year, and I can't wait for tomorrow...I hadn't heard of Tumaini Children's Project before, but it looks like an inspirational place and well worth staying up 24 hours for. :)

See you tomorrow!

Mehnaz said...

Thanks Pico! Looking forward to it :)

Karim Kanji said...

WOW!

Just about to leave for the border. Have fun on Saturday and make sure u drink lots of water!!

I don't know if I'll be able to sneak a peek sometime on Saturday. If I do, I will make sure to say HELLO.

Have fun!

KK