Saturday, July 25, 2009

Post 32: 5 Most Memorable Books

I'm dedicating this post to my friend Michael, who has been checking in all day and shares my love for books and reading and all things literary. This 5 of list thing is really working for me. Here is a list of the 5 most memorable books in my library.

1. An Equal Music by Vikram Seth - amazing story of lost and found love and how circumstances that change can impact a relationship into the future. Plus music is the background for it, which I love.

2. The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje - There is this fantastic part of the novel that describes the different kinds of desert winds. It was the one thing that caught my attention and I remember writing an essay about it. I will forever remember that passage.

3. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - I read this when I was 10 and it was formative in how literature could be written. Dickens is a bit drawn out even for an adult, but I especially will remember Ms. Havisham's character in her wedding dress.

4. Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels - A fantastic novelist and exquisitely written. Such a sense of history and loss in that book. Another one of those novels I read on entrance into Uni (and another Michael and I read at the same time, along with Number 2!)

5. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry - I felt like I was hanging in the balance the entire way through this novel. It's simultaneously devastating and beautiful and gives you this panoramic scope of India during the time of Indira Gandhi. The very end of the novel is etched into my memory forever

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ma chere! (thank you!)
I remember those two books well, and love them dearly. That class changed everything for me (and we met then!).
All of those books sound wonderful. I will add them to my own to-read list!

I think this would be my list:

1--Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (of course! for its humour and generosity and imperfection.)
2--Roland Barthes' Pleasure of the Text (because it comes the closest to describing the sensuality and physical pleasure of reading.)
3--Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (because they were the first "adult" books that I ever read, and what a delicious loss of innocence in many ways!)
4--Margaret Atwood's The Edible Woman (in retrospect, this was my introduction and intiation into the world of feminism)
5--Madonna's Sex book (because, well, it's Madonna! And because there is something very interesting going on when a woman who works primarily in song and image takes on the medium of text.)

And also:
6--Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories (because they offered me an experience of beauty, elegance and enchantment throughout my childhood.)
7--Leslie Feinberg's Stone Butch Blues (because this book touched my heart with its tenderness, and taught me how to care for people.)

Anonymous said...

Also, half in response to this posting, half to the one about Blackberries:

"By offering electronic users the appearance of a world controlled from their keyboard, a world in which everything can be 'accessed' and everything can be had, as in fairy tales, by a simple tap of the finger, multinational companies have ensured that, on the one hand, users will not protest against being turned into consumers, since they are supposedly 'in control' of cyberspace; and that, on the other hand, they will be prevented from learning anything profound, whether about themselves, their immediate surroundings or the rest of the world." (Alberto Manguel, The Library at Night)

Perhaps overstating the case a bit (where would this leave things such as this blog?), but certainly a part of the reason why books and literature are so amazing and important and humanizing!

Mehnaz said...

I love your list! I have to add some of yours to my ever-expanding list :)

and yes, I think I will always remember that class with Dr. Chester :)