Saturday, July 25, 2009

Post 7: Men's Fashion Faux Pas! Ne Fait Pas Ca!

So, I'm not a total fashionista. I wish I was. I stick to basics, but I do have an opinion on men's fashion. I know too many men to let this one slide altogether. I have some pet peeves of men's fashions, things that just shouldn't be done. So as the french would say, ne fait pas ca! Here's my list of 5

1. The No-Shirt Sydrome - It's summer time, I know. We're all hot and we've been working out since Christmas to look this good. But there is a time and a place to not have your shirt on. For instance, at the beach or park is fine. Walking down the middle of Robson Street, not so much. Remember side walks are narrow and nobody wants to graze your love handles as they walk by

2. Pleated Pants - Just don't do it. It makes you look like you have hips. You don't want to look like you have hips right? Best to wear a properly fitted, flat-front trouser with an understated belt. None of those balloon pants. Unless it's Hammer time!

3. Sport Socks (not relegated to sports). I cannot tell you how many times I've seen men on with white socks and suits. What made this okay in the first place? Don't do it, it just looks bad. Repeat after me: I will only wear white socks at the gym. Okay, good.

4. Clothes that are all-too-big - Yes, this isn't only a men's faux pas, but it needed stating I think. Did you know that clothes that are too large on you make you look even larger than you are? Not a good thing. I don't care if it's on sale. If it's not your size, don't buy it. Please.

5. Camo - I know some of you will really not like this one. But I don't like camouflage. I know it's a jungle out there, but I'd rather you not wear those camo shorts or that camo jacket anymore. Hats are okay. They're small and I can forgive it. But no more camo shorts please.

Fabulous men's fashions at The Sartorialist of course!

PS: Don't be afraid of colour :)

8 comments:

Barbara Doduk said...

Good list. I have a lot of pet peeves about what men can get away with looking like, but it would take too long to compose. LOL

Mehnaz said...

LOL...Isn't that always the case? Mind, you could fill up a whole bunch of posts!

Airdrie said...

Dare I add Bluetooth phones permanently glued to the ear?

Mehnaz said...

Airdrie! you dare!

Anonymous said...

Ma chere,
Yes!!! Fabulous post!
All of these things are horrible! I think the one that gets me the most is ill-fitting clothes. It drives me up the wall! It is not only that it makes one look bigger, it also makes one look really really small and puny inside all of that billowing fabric. It makes a man look like a little boy dressing his older brother's or dad's clothes. It looks juvenile. I say, one should be a man and wear clothes that show just how much of a man's body one has!
Thank you for calling men on their faux-pas, ma chere!

--Michael

Anonymous said...

also--this site is excellent for the theory and practicality behind proper, good men's fashion. It is a real education!

http://www.permanentstyle.blogspot.com/

-m.

Mehnaz said...

Oooh, I think I hit a nerve with this one :)
Thanks M for commenting!

designer store said...

nice post..

thanks for sharing...