Monday, February 8, 2010

The Grim Specter of Aging Gracefully

Current Mood: Another monday.....heh.

Current Song: Running by Jully Black

Last week, I was again faced with my own mortality when I found three white hairs growing very close to the front of my face. Three, all in one shot. Well, actually I discovered one, and my sister discovered two others who were nesting nearby the first one.

After hyperventilating at the thought of growing old (Oh My God! I'm going to have to dye my hair for the first time in my life! I'm going to have to get wrinkle cream! Gravity will soon ensure my butt is kissing the ground!), I had to get myself together.

Luckily, as I went over to fellow blogger, Lindsey's blog, and she had a fabulous post on Paris gyms that gave me a bit of perspective on my life.

Terribly enough, we live in a society that is full of images where young means all kinds of good things. And old pretty much is akin to being some kind of discard. The lost and faded beauty of a once seductive woman who has nothing to offer the world but a set of crowsfeet when she smiles.

We don't have nearly as many people such as Helen Mirren, and Meryl Streep floating around in our media. Mind you, there is more of a move towards understanding the aging phenomenon in the media, but not nearly as much awareness as there should be. And there is a circus-y ridiculousness in trying to look young. Trying to look you best for your age is different; trying to look young is just verging on farcical.

Growing older, I realized this is probably the best I feel yet. I've always been too old for my age and never could relate to my peers. For the first time in my life, age brings me confidence and the ability to carry myself with some poise and awareness of myself. This is my plus side of aging.

I think I'm setting up on a new path here. I think getting older is great boon and can work so much in our favour as we gain the experience of the years, and pass it down to the next generation.

I'll probably report back when I get my first laugh lines :)

5 comments:

briogusto said...

First off, I can say after stalking you for a bit yesterday on facebook, that you certainly do not appear to be "aging". You are gorgeous!

Secondly, this is such a refreshing, positive post. Thank you :)

Lindsey said...

You are so funny! What's ironic is I was a dinner last week and my husband was sitting next to me. My hair was pulled back in a bun and he goes "ooh ooh ooh un cheveux blanc!!". Okay, so not only is it obnoxious that he did that at dinner, in front of friends, but it's obnoxious that it wasn't the first gray hair I've found! At my age, that seems strange, right? eh.... who knows.

You're gorgeous, you're young, and at least you're laughing about the gray hairs! Even if you woke up one morning with a full head of grays (beyond improbable), you'd rock it.

Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad it got you thinking!!

Mehnaz said...

Thank you Darryn :) You are too sweet. Love your blog as well. Keep stalking this one!

Lindsey - oh what a story! But a beautiful woman like you shouldn't be phased by a little grey hair either! I think you'd rock it too, and given you're in france, it'll add a certain european air to you :)

消炎 said...

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you will not have a leg to stand on.............................................

Grace Boyle said...

I love how you said you are faced with mortality (I know, sometimes I still think I'm invincible)!

In the end, I have decided that I am going to embrace growing older. I'm excited (instead of dreading) each year that I get older. Sure, when I'm about to turn 50 I might be cringing, but I hope I can think about the full life I have led and exciting times for my future. Sort of like, there's a time and a place for everything. Growing into yourself (even if it means a few white hairs) is beautiful. So yes, embrace it :)